Elaine’s areas of teaching specialty include the history of American architecture and urbanism, material culture, consumer culture and spaces, historic preservation theory and practice, vernacular architecture, and cultural landscape studies.
Independently Developed Courses
- History, Memory, and the Built Environment
- Historic Preservation Theory and Practice in the U.S.
- Professional Practice in Historic Preservation
- American Cultural Landscapes
- Spaces of Consumption
- New Histories of the Urban Edge
Courses Taught as a Graduate Instructor
- American Cultural Landscapes, 1600-1900 and 1900-present
- History of Architecture and Urbanism, Baroque - present
- The San Francisco Bay Area: Landscape, Culture, Politics, 1930-1941